Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Class XI, ENGLISH, "Punctuation"

1. Androcles who had no arms of any kind now gave himself up for lost what shall I do said he I have no spear or sword no not so much of a stick to defend myself with.

A. Androcles, who had no arms of any kind, now gave himself up for lost. “What shall I do?” aid he, “I have no spear or sword. No, not so much of a stick to defend myself with?”


2. May I ask the name of this building said the president kindly it is called the department of justice.

A. “May I ask the name of this building,” said the president kindly. “It is called the Department of Justice.”


3. Think a hundred times before you take a decision Jinnah told the league at lahore but once the decision is taken stand by it as one man.

A. “Think a hundred times before you take a decision,” Jinnah told the League at Lahore, but once the decision is taken, stand by it as one man.”


4. What a lazy boy you are said the teacher to saleem you never pay attention to your studies I am too weak to pull on with the class replied saleem.

A. “What a lazy boy you are!” said the teacher to Saleem. “You never pay attention to your studies.” I am too weak to pull on with the class replied Saleem.”


5. You say said the judge that the bag you lost contained one hundred and ten pounds yes your honour said the miser then as this bag contains one hundred pounds only it cannot be yours said the judge.

A. “You say,” said the judge, “that the bag you lost contained one hundred and ten pounds.” “Yes, your Honour,” said the miser. “Then, as this bag contains one hundred pounds only, it cannot be yours,” said the judge.


6. Why have you come late he asked don’t you know that the school begins at eight I am very sorry sir replied the body my bus broke down on the way I had to walk more than a mile to reach here.

A. “Why have you come late?” he asked. “Don’t you know that the school beings at eight?” “I am very sorry, sir,” replied the boy. “My bus broke down on the way. I had to walk more than a mole to reach here.”


7. At the end of the play she turned to me and said quite naturally oh did you get my letter didn’t you I said well I got an envelope this morning with a ticket in it.

A. At the end of the play, she turned to me and said quite naturally, “Oh! Did you get my letter, didn’t you?” I said, “Well I got an envelope this morning, with a ticket in it.”


8. Are you aware my dear husband that there is an old arab custom never to break bread in the house of an enemy.

A. “Are you aware, my dear husband, that there is an old Arab custom never to break bread in the house of an enemy?”


9. I shall give her notice as soon as the new year festivities are over said the baroness till then I shall be too busy to manage without her.

A. “I shall give her notice as soon as the New Year festivities are over,” said the Baroness, “till then, I shall be too busy to manage without her.”


10. You are very young my son and games are more suited to your years than battles but you are as strong as an elephant.

A. “You are very young, my son and games are more suited to your years than battles. But you are as strong as an elephant.”

2 comments: